Connect with us

News Extra

Pope urges  European leaders to make greater investment in developing migrants’ countries of origin

Published

on

Kindly share this article

Pope Leo XIV has urged European countries to invest in the development of poorer nations to tackle the root causes of migration, saying no one should be forced to leave their homeland in search of safety or a better life.

The pontiff delivered the message on Saturday during a visit to the Italian island of Lampedusa, one of the main entry points for migrants crossing the Mediterranean into Europe. The trip combined prayer, remembrance and a renewed appeal for compassion toward migrants and refugees.

Speaking during Mass after visiting the island’s migrant cemetery and meeting new arrivals at the port, Pope Leo called on European leaders to adopt a comprehensive approach to migration that combines humanitarian assistance with long-term development initiatives.

“Speaking from this far-flung corner of Europe on the Mediterranean Sea,” the Pope urged governments to provide immediate relief while receiving, protecting, supporting and integrating migrants. He also called for greater investment in developing migrants’ countries of origin “so that no one is forced to leave.”

He praised the people of Lampedusa for what he described as the “miracle of compassion” they have shown in welcoming migrants over the years.

“This is a place where gestures speak louder than words,” Leo said. “But for gestures to be human, they need a heart.”

Reflecting on the thousands who have died attempting the dangerous Mediterranean crossing, the Pope said the victims continued to challenge the conscience of Europe.

“Here you have seen not just one, but thousands of human beings fallen into the hands of robbers who have taken everything from them, beat them brutally and walked away, leaving them half-dead,” he said. Referring to those who perished at sea, he added: “Yet we feel their presence, which challenges us no less than that of those who have landed in need of attention and aid.”

The visit carried significance beyond Europe. Earlier in the day, as the United States marked the 250th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence, the American-born Pope issued a message urging Americans to uphold the country’s tradition of welcoming immigrants.

In a July 4 letter, Leo said protecting human life includes “welcoming, protecting and assisting immigrants, whose hopes, sacrifices and contribution have formed part of the history of this country from its very beginning.” He added that receiving migrants with “compassion and generosity” is both an act of charity and recognition of the inherent dignity of every person.

The remarks come amid continuing tensions between the Vatican and the administration of President Donald Trump over immigration policies and mass deportations.

Lampedusa, located closer to North Africa than mainland Italy, has for years been at the centre of Europe’s migration crisis, serving as the first destination for hundreds of thousands of migrants departing from Libya and Tunisia, often aboard overcrowded boats operated by human traffickers.

According to Italy’s Interior Ministry, 14,464 migrants had reached the country by sea this year as of Friday, compared with 30,598 during the same period last year.

Despite the decline in arrivals, the International Organization for Migration estimates that more than 35,000 migrants have gone missing in the Mediterranean since 2014, with the actual toll believed to be significantly higher because many shipwrecks are never documented.

During his visit, Pope Leo laid a wreath of yellow and white flowers at Lampedusa’s migrant cemetery, where many graves are marked by simple wooden crosses fashioned from the remains of wrecked migrant boats.

The visit echoed that of Pope Francis, who chose Lampedusa for his first pastoral trip outside Rome in 2013 and condemned what he called the “globalization of indifference” toward migrants. Like his predecessor, Pope Leo used the island to renew the Church’s call for solidarity, insisting that addressing poverty, conflict and lack of opportunity in less developed nations remains essential to preventing forced migration.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News Extra

Colombie : les familles touchées par le conflit perdent une nouvelle fois tout après le séisme meurtrier

Published

on

Kindly share this article

Des familles déjà déplacées par le conflit armé en Colombie sont confrontées à une nouvelle dévastation après qu’un séisme meurtrier a détruit des habitations, des écoles et des moyens de subsistance dans certaines des communautés les plus vulnérables du pays.

Giovanni Rizzo, directeur pays du Conseil norvégien pour les réfugiés (NRC) en Colombie, a déclaré que le séisme était survenu alors que plus de neuf millions de personnes dépendaient déjà de l’aide humanitaire.

Cette population comprend des survivants du conflit armé, des réfugiés et des migrants, ainsi que des communautés touchées par de graves inondations et sécheresses. Selon Rizzo, environ 10 % des personnes ayant besoin d’aide vivent dans des zones qui comptent désormais parmi les plus durement frappées par le séisme.

« La catastrophe touche aussi bien les grandes villes que les communautés rurales », a déclaré Rizzo, ajoutant que de nombreuses familles rurales déjà déplacées par le conflit avaient une nouvelle fois tout perdu.

Dans la ville d’El Cairo, dans l’ouest du pays, les destructions sont particulièrement importantes. Selon le maire, la plupart des habitations sont désormais inhabitables et de nombreuses familles touchées avaient déjà fui le conflit.

Un survivant du séisme a déclaré à une équipe du NRC que cette catastrophe constituait la troisième fois qu’il perdait son logement.

« J’avais une maison, mais je l’ai perdue lorsque j’ai été contraint de fuir le Guaviare. Je suis ensuite allé dans le Chocó, où j’ai été déplacé une deuxième fois. Maintenant, ici, j’ai perdu ma maison pour la troisième fois », a témoigné le survivant.

Rizzo a estimé que les efforts de reconstruction devaient aller au-delà du déblaiement et de la réparation des bâtiments endommagés. Il a souligné la nécessité d’aider les familles à reconstruire leur vie, tout en reconnaissant la résilience qu’elles ont développée après des décennies d’épreuves.

Le séisme a également fortement perturbé l’éducation. Selon le NRC, les quatre écoles d’El Cairo sont actuellement inutilisables.

Rizzo a déclaré que la destruction des salles de classe pouvait être particulièrement traumatisante pour les enfants ayant déjà vécu les conséquences du conflit, rappelant que les écoles peuvent offrir un important sentiment de stabilité et de sécurité.

Il a appelé à rétablir l’éducation d’urgence le plus rapidement possible afin d’aider les enfants à retrouver un semblant de normalité dans un contexte profondément bouleversé.

Le NRC distribue des matelas, des couvertures et des kits de cuisine aux personnes touchées par le séisme et hébergées dans des centres d’accueil à travers Quibdó. L’organisation a toutefois averti que l’aide humanitaire devait être rapidement renforcée.

« La Colombie reste l’une des crises de déplacement les plus négligées au monde », a déclaré Rizzo, appelant le gouvernement colombien et la communauté internationale à veiller à ce qu’une aide vitale parvienne à toutes les communautés touchées, à la fois immédiatement et pendant toute la durée du processus de reconstruction.

Il a averti que cette nouvelle catastrophe venait aggraver des besoins humanitaires déjà considérables dans un pays où des millions de personnes vivent toujours avec les conséquences du conflit et des déplacements répétés.

Continue Reading

News Extra

Colombia: Conflict-affected families lose everything again after deadly earthquake

Published

on

Kindly share this article

Families already displaced by armed conflict in Colombia are facing renewed devastation after a deadly earthquake destroyed homes, schools and livelihoods in some of the country’s most vulnerable communities.

Giovanni Rizzo, country director of the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) in Colombia, said the earthquake struck as more than nine million people were already dependent on humanitarian assistance.

The affected population includes survivors of armed conflict, refugees and migrants, as well as communities hit by severe floods and droughts. Rizzo said about 10 per cent of those in need live in areas now among the hardest hit by the earthquake.

“The disaster impacts major cities and rural communities alike,” Rizzo said, adding that many families in rural areas who had already been displaced by conflict had now lost everything once again.

In the western town of El Cairo, the destruction has been particularly severe. According to the mayor, most homes are now uninhabitable, with many of the affected families having previously fled conflict.

One earthquake survivor told an NRC team that the disaster had marked the third time they had lost their home.

“I had a home, but I lost it when I was forced to flee Guaviare. Then I went to Chocó and was displaced a second time. Now, here, I’ve lost my home for the third time,” the survivor said.

Rizzo said the recovery effort must go beyond clearing debris and repairing damaged buildings, stressing the need to help families rebuild their lives while recognising the resilience they have developed through decades of adversity.

The earthquake has also severely disrupted education. All four schools in El Cairo are currently unusable, according to the NRC.

Rizzo said the destruction of classrooms could be particularly traumatic for children who have already experienced conflict, noting that schools can provide a crucial sense of stability and safety.

He called for emergency education to be restored as quickly as possible to help children regain a sense of normality amid the upheaval.

The NRC is distributing mattresses, blankets and cooking kits to earthquake-affected people staying in shelters across Quibdó. However, the organisation warned that humanitarian assistance needs to be rapidly expanded.

“Colombia remains one of the world’s most neglected displacement crises,” Rizzo said, urging the Colombian government and international community to ensure life-saving assistance reaches all affected communities, both immediately and throughout the long-term recovery.

He warned that the latest disaster has compounded existing humanitarian needs in a country where millions of people are already living with the consequences of conflict and repeated displacement.

Continue Reading

News Extra

Alarm Phone salue le sauvetage de personnes en détresse par SOS Humanity

Published

on

Kindly share this article

Alarm Phone, une organisation qui fournit un soutien indépendant aux personnes tentant de traverser la mer Méditerranée pour rejoindre l’Union européenne, a salué SOS Humanity pour avoir secouru 65 personnes retrouvées en détresse en Méditerranée centrale.

Dans une publication sur X, Alarm Phone a indiqué avoir été alertée par les 65 personnes alors qu’elles se trouvaient en difficulté en mer. L’organisation a ensuite prévenu les autorités ainsi que les organisations civiles de recherche et de sauvetage, mais c’est la flotte civile qui est intervenue pour répondre à l’urgence.

« Sauvées ! », a déclaré Alarm Phone, remerciant SOS Humanity d’avoir répondu à l’appel de détresse et mené l’opération de sauvetage.

Cette opération intervient après un précédent article de Voice for African Migrants rapportant que le navire de recherche et de sauvetage Humanity 1 de SOS Humanity avait secouru 65 personnes, dont 10 mineurs et quatre femmes, après les avoir retrouvées en détresse à la suite d’une traversée depuis la Libye.

Selon SOS Humanity, le sauvetage a été effectué mercredi après-midi, après que le groupe aurait passé trois jours exposé au large et à une chaleur extrême.

L’équipage du Humanity 1 a indiqué que la situation de détresse avait été signalée par Alarm Phone, tandis que l’avion de reconnaissance Albatross Uno avait également contribué à localiser les personnes ayant besoin d’assistance.

Les survivants auraient été retrouvés épuisés et déshydratés avant d’être embarqués à bord du Humanity 1, où ils ont reçu des soins médicaux d’urgence.

SOS Humanity a critiqué les politiques migratoires européennes, accusant les gouvernements européens d’abandonner les personnes en détresse alors que les organisations civiles de recherche et de sauvetage font l’objet d’une surveillance et de critiques politiques croissantes.

L’organisation a déclaré que ce sauvetage démontrait l’importance des opérations civiles de recherche et de sauvetage en Méditerranée. Elle a réaffirmé son engagement à secourir les personnes en détresse, à documenter leurs expériences et à assurer une protection aux personnes qui en ont besoin.

Alarm Phone appelle régulièrement à une meilleure protection des personnes tentant de traverser la Méditerranée ainsi qu’à la mise en place d’un système européen efficace de recherche et de sauvetage afin de prévenir les décès en mer.

Continue Reading

Trending